Apr 24, 2009

OUCH .......

November 2007. I had gone up to Brisbane to see my niece Chloe for her birthday.

During that weekend my sister and I decided to take my Mum for her belated birthday present to a day spa.

We were going to get facials. It was going to be SOOOOO good.

We choose a relatively well known day spa. I had gone there before at a different location and enjoyed the experience.

We filled out our forms and got our robes on and then we all went with our own beauty therapist to get our facials done.

I was going to have a steamer on my face as part of the facial.

About 10mins into the facial and with goop (yes, that is the technical term) on my face, I heard this spluttering noise, like boiling water. It sounded VERY close.

And then I felt the boiling water spill onto my stomach. Luckily I had a robe on to take the full heat. But in shock I jumped up and my left hand caught the boiling water all over the back of my hand.

Ouch.

The therapist ran out of the room after turning off the machine and got some cream and an ice pack. She asked if I wanted to continue. Ummm yes, the others had all gone in and I wasn't going to sit there for 80mins nursing my hand while they finished.

So I continued with the facial and in pain for most of the time.

At the end of the procedure I met with the manager who was of course very apologetic and applied some cream and wrapped my hand. She said she would organise a little gift pack on the way out. Ok, that sounds like the LEAST you could do.

Got to the check out desk and she had 2 of the smallest hand creams that I have ever seen. And then made a big deal out of taking 12% off the total bill. Oh ok, so that is the going rate for scarring me for life I see!

I just wanted to get out of there so I didn't really question.

It was sore.

The next day I went to the local doctors and it was a second degree burn and I would need a tetanus shot on my return to Sydney. I was told that I would also need to go on anti-biotics and my career as a hand model is most definitely over. he he

NOT FOR THE FAINT HEARTED

Fat swollen hands.

















A few days later it started to peel and the blister burst.


And I am now left with this scar which will be a reminder for the rest of my life that facials are of the devil.


I have retained a solicitor and it has been going on for THIS long with no co-operation from the negligent day spa.

They are admitting no fault. Oh, ok, so I just jumped up and poured the boiling water on my hand just for fun?

Stay tuned to see how the exciting saga of getting the negligent party to admit fault and pay up will end. So far it isn't looking good..............where is the justice!

I must have been born under a lucky star or I am just a magnet for trouble....

5 comments:

AZ Powells said...

that really sucks and looks like it really hurt bad....I hope you end up owning the spa AND then have tons of $$$ so you can fly ALL your cousies over ffor treatments which would NOT include hand burnings :) Sorry ....

Sarah Tilley said...

what were they doing slopping boiling water all over you? i thought spas were for getting prettied up, not maimed and scarred.

yeah, i hope you at least get your medical bills and attorney fees from them.

next time something like this happens, you have to go to the hospital right away, and let the negligent party know they're footing the bill.

Michelle Garff said...

i wish a were a lawyer. you should contact the local new station. hee hee. hey, some good friends of ours are coming in july to be the new mission president in sidney...jeff and diane simmons. you will LOVE them, if they are in your area.

Robert and Natalie said...

ouch!!!

Renee said...

Where IS the justice? Good luck trying to get them to pay up. I didn't get a dime from the guy that hit me. I had to pay all those medical bills, including the $1500 ambulance ride. I talked to some lawyers and they told me I didn't have a case because I wasn't injured enough!!?? Well, at least she didn't drop the water on your face. You would have had to kung fu the cream out of her. :)