Mar 5, 2010

Florida - Part 2

So after all that eating and fun we decided to go south - further south than anyone (well most people) have been before!

We were off to the Keys! You know, it doesn't look that far.

It is.

Our base was Key Largo and that is the top of the chain of Keys. Beautiful. Hard to believe that you are on this narrow stretch of land and there is ocean as far as the eye can see (sea - hahahaha).

The next day we headed down to Key West - which is far south as you can go. That is even smaller than Key Largo but has SO many tourists and visitors. It was like a mad house. Lots of streets that are one way and narrow and busy and the homes are beautiful! Expensive but beautiful. Makes me wonder what people around there did to make money. Or maybe I don't want to know.......

Here are my favorite house shots. LOVE the colours. I couldn't get the whole house in but you get the general idea.

I just can't tell you how beautiful these homes were! They were all renovated and bought to life. Apparently there is a star that is awarded the home for keeping it in the style of Key West.

This is Ernest Hemingway's home. There were signs everywhere. He was quite the celebrity. The last pictures kills me.


And when you are in Key West you must visit this donger (well that is my name for it). I know, I looked thrilled to be there......


Funny story though - there is this grand old house built back in Noah's day (kidding but it was so old it may as well have been) and it had this sign up saying it was the "southernmost house in USA". Ok, that is fine. Move on down the road, another house and it had a sign saying "the southernmost southernmost house in the USA". Maybe you just had to be there .....

And another must do when you visit is to stay for the sunset. We had a cloudy day but it was still awesome.


We headed back to Key Largo and spent the WHOLE day just being a beach bum. You can do that, in the middle of winter when it is 80 degrees. Awesome I tell you! Again, another great sunset. I tried to be arty and get the sunset on my legs. I am not really that orange.



Thank you Florida for the best January I can remember in a long time!

3 comments:

Sarah Tilley said...

those are beautiful photos. makes me want to visit where hemmingway pissed. ;)

Analiese said...

Ahhh you kill me. But it was a worthwhile trip. You wont be disappointed .....

Sals said...

oh man....I LOVE THe homes! Gorgeous photo's too....the sunset is beautiful!